Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I have been thinking about the wonderful gift that Aurelia has given me - she made me a mother. But what she could not give me was what it takes to be a good mother. That was a gift I received from my own mother. The best gift she could have given me, besides life itself. I realize now that not everyone has a mother as amazing as I do. How sad.

I cannot imagine a day in this world wondering if my mother loved me, believed in me, or was proud of me. I have known those things every day of my life. I feel them coursing through my veins. They have made me the person I am today. My mother's love, belief and pride are not platitudes. She raised me to be someone that she could be proud of. She taught me to be a person she could believe in. She helped me be someone worthy of her love and the love of my friends and family. Even on days when I don't feel worthy of any of those things, she has let me know that her true feelings about me are unwavering.

I have never known gifts more special or spectacular than the gifts my mother has given me since the day she gave birth to me. I hope that I can do the same for Aurelia. I know that I have the tools and the skills. My mother made sure they are ingrained in the fibers of my being.

Thank you Mom, for being the most amazing mother I could have ever hoped for and for teaching me that I can be like you. You are and will always be my hero.

Happy Mother's Day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Dear Child. When I heard people speak of the joys of motherhood I never knew that they meant they last as long as you live. I thought it was only while those precious little girls were living in my home, but I have found that being your mother was truly God's forever gift to me. I remember telling you when you were growing up that I was your mother, not your friend. I now count it as my greatest blessing that my daughters are indeed my dear friends. You always did and always do and always will make me proud. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies, I have emptied one box of tissues and gotten halfway through a roll of toilet paper reading your words, wiping these eyes of tears. So poignant, such precious expressions of love. Since I never had children of my own, I missed these moments of recognition with my own Mom. So thank you for sharing them so openly and sweetly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Flo, thanks again for your words of encouragement. You may not have had your own, but I think you have loved Ian and Ivy with a very special sort of love, and now Koruna Muse gets a share too. I have heard tales of your generosity and caring and have seen that beautiful gift Jeri Lynn wore around her neck at their wedding celebration! I think you are the keeper of memories and what a gift that is. And by the way, I saw online the house you grew up in and I wish I could move it to Texas - preferably near Austin! Thank you Flo.
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your comments Flo, and of course Mom, I am always so grateful for yours. You are both such wonderful women. Thank you so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I think you are the keeper of memories, and what a gift that is."

    Oh Honey, a gift and a curse, both! And I think you are a poet! Looking forward to continuing this conversation one day....

    ReplyDelete