We spent this past weekend at Honey's house in Cooper, and it was just fabulous. Cooper (sounds like cooker, not ku-per) is one of those small towns where everybody knows your name. Whenever we visit and bump into people at Ronnie and Marylin's store, Red Door Antiques, or Miller's old fashioned soda fountain, the first question we get is "Who do you belong to?" I say, Leo and Dorothy Millard are my grandparents, and their daughter, Melissa, is my mom. This question might seem strange to people who have no connection to a small town, but Cooper is just one of those towns you are unlikely to visit if you aren't related to a resident. That fact bothers Poppa Leo. He has always wanted Cooper to attract more tourists.
Leo Millard knows everything there is to know about Cooper. He is the President of the Cooper Museum and he is devoted to his town. I got to tour the museum with him this weekend, just the two of us. He took me there in his golf cart, opened the museum on Sunday, when it is usually closed, and gave me the grand tour. He pointed out the things he thinks are the most interesting and told me the story behind them. I have written here before about the value of time and how we choose to spend it. Well, hearing my granddad's stories, learning a tiny fraction of what he knows and what is important to him, was probably the most precious thing I could have purchased with my time.
One little quote he passed on to me as we honored history together was something his Momma used to say to him when he was growing up - "Use it up. Wear it out. Make do, or do without." Turns out, that simple saying was something people of her, and then his, generations lived by. As I look for a full time job in a tough economy, I think it will serve me well to "make do" with what I have - which, I am very grateful, is A LOT.
Aurelia got to spend some priceless time this weekend with her Honey, her great-grandparents, Poppa Leo and Granny and my Aunt Marylin and Uncle Ronnie. She also got to see my cousins Amanda and her brother Brad and Brad's daughter Lily. We had so much fun. Let's do it again! (But not before we go to Odessa to visit Grumps and Grandma Becky. That is our next trip, I promise!) Here are some pictures from our visit to Cooper.
Four generations:
Here is Reli enjoying her teething "popsicle" and showing off her smacking skills for cousin Amanda and Aunt Marylin.
Hanging out with Momma and Dadda:
Trying on hats with Uncle Ronnie at the Red Door:
Here is a video of Aurelia at home making her pterodactyl sounds in the "Day Spa". Music to my ears . . .
And last, but not least, to all of you Koruna fans out there who are in desperate need of a fix, here are the cousins and their daddies playing with the beloved birdies on the toy from Grandma Marcia.
Bye-Bye!
I was present, and even I cannot believe how special those hours were. What joy for four generations to gather and have a chance to share stories (mostly Poppa Leo) and laughter (all of us) and thought provoking conversation (mostly Suzanne and Jonathan with me!) and love all around. I feel sorry for all the people who don't have Aurelia and Koruna to love! That Reli is one amazing baby girl and has the sweetest personality ever and was perfect in every way in the midst of the crowds of people wanting to have a turn holding her. I am so grateful that she got to experience small town Cooper and that Cooper got to see Reli!
ReplyDeleteMy love and thanks,
Honey
The Darling Aurelia has ventured to California and East Texas multiple times. Mapquest says the driving time from Austin to Cooper is 4 hours and 40 minutes. From Austin to Odessa is 5 hours and 38 minutes. Just 58 minutes more and she can experience the wide open spaces of west texas. Can't wait for her to add to her travel history.
ReplyDeleteA visit with Aurelia is so worth the wait!
ReplyDeleteHoney
See you tonight Papasita!
ReplyDeleteFabulous post, so many visual and audible riches! I don't like it when you take Aurelia away from us so long, but you sure make up for it when you return, and this time is no exception, thank you! I'm getting a feeling we should all start looking at Austin TX real estate. If I could, I'd hitch that Ingram house [the one they're getting ready to demolish that Honey and I love so much] to a pull wagon, and WALK it to Texas! Sending big huge love to Team Kaplan!
ReplyDeletejust revisited 'sitting pretty' before coming to this wonderful new post and it's a gift to observe aurelia focused on her little yellow bird ( i hope i got that color right)... with aurelia's concentration the only 'audible' element for such a long time. truly beautiful to observe her figuring out how to manipulate that bird. and then stage left, mamma's lovely soft voice offers support and encouragement. so i moved from that post to this tribute to family and a small town's simple but compelling way of living. i grew up in a small mid-western town,and our extended family lived in towns scattered throughout southern indiana- so i sincerely relate to what you are describing. how wonderful to be able to visit cooper and have your poppa leo share its history with you and pass along insights and values. When that physical place doesn't exist it is increasingly more challenging to keep that valuable connection alive unless we actively engage in preserving it. i sure do wish we could help flo pull the wonderful ingram home to austin and settle it back down where there would be family to love it and live in it again....
ReplyDeleteWell, I am missing my kids. I love so much going back and watching videos and enlarging pictures and admiring that Aureila and her beautiful Momma and Daddy. And I love reading the rich, sweet, moving words of our extended family. Thank you Pam and Flo for being so generous. You are both gorgeous women and it is our privilege to know and love you all! So have you figured out all the details of hitching the Ingram home to that wagon Flo? I will gladly fly out and join you for the pulling to Texas part. And I am especially thrilled with the idea of all of you searching for Austin real estate! We could all share and/or take turns!
ReplyDeleteLove to all writers and readers,
Honey
My darling Honey, I see we're coming here together wondering where Aurelia and her parents have gotten off to since it's been 10 days with not a chirp from Team Kaplan!! TEN, count them, I just did! "Gorgeous"? Oh the photo, I didn't look too awful in that photo [you can see the advancing Ingram teeth genetics in full display]. I left that photo up for 2 days on my blogger profile, then had it expunged, but I see it's still posted! Too bad it isn't a current photo, LOL. Thank you for inquiring about the house. On that front, I spent the earlier part of the week LABORING [oh, for Suzanne's gift with the pen] over my last ditch effort in an appeal to one of the local newspapers to run a pubic service announcement that the [historic!] house was available [free!] to remove, relocate, and restore [c'monnnn!]. No response yet, fingers and toes crossed anyway. DearHeart, you are such a gem, these families are so lucky to have you centrally located in their hearts and in their lives. Yes.
ReplyDelete